Mark your calendars for Wednesday, October 3rd at 7 pm in the staff room! Childcare available. Elections will be happening!
Please read more about School Council Positions here.
Sign up sheets are posted in the front lobby. Nomination forms are in the School Council cubby in the office. They must be filled out before 5pm on the day of the meeting.
Hope to see you there!
Come out next Friday morning and enjoy some coffee, tea and healthy snacks while getting to know or catching up with the school community including teachers, staff and other parents! Frankland School Council will be there so you can find out more about council positions and volunteer opportunities for the upcoming year.
Please BYOMUG and help us reduce single use waste. Thank you!
Starts after running club! 8:30 AM – 9:00 AM
See you there!
Following Frankland’s EcoSchool Textile Drive initiative (that diverted 1300 kg of textiles from Landfill and circulated approx. 600 kg within community)
Frankland Parents Council and Fashion Takes Action is pleased to bring 3 half day workshops Footprint of Fashion for students grade 5 & 6 and one workshop for Parents (stay tuned for date)
My Clothes My World was created to educate people about the negative impact ‘fast fashion’ has on society and the environment both locally and globally.
- To set the context for the workshop Teachers will show students prior the workshop the following free CBC 5th Estate documentary. Here is the trailer if you want a quick overview for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzEpc8p2u8U. Here is the link for the documentary to show to your students: https://youtu.be/onD5UOP5z_c. There are a few graphic moments in the episode between minutes 9:10 and 13:05; Teachers will use their discretion with students. We understand that each student group may be at a different level of sensitivity or attention span and respect choice to either show or not show the 45 minute video.
- Please have each student bring an old t-shirt from home as we will be teaching them how to upcycle clothes they don’t want anymore into a bag or scarf (they need to know that they will be cutting the shirts so they need to bring in a shirt they don’t have too strong of an attachment to!). It can be any colour and in any condition, however they should make sure that the bottom edge of the shirt is level (front to back) and that it does not have a band or wide cuff, and that it should not be a tank top. If they are smaller children it might be best for them to bring one of their parents t-shirts because if the shirt is too small it will be difficult to make into a bag. If they have more than one they can bring them and we will either use them in class for forgetful students or donate/recycle them appropriately. Note: it is best if they bring a shirt that they no longer wear because it has been stained or torn, as this helps them better understand the nature of “upcycling” and that it is an alternative to tossing it into the garbage.
- 7 R’s of Fashion: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Research, Repurpose, Repair, Rent!
Did you know that this week is Bike to School Week at Frankland? We are keeping track of all the kids who ride, scoot, run or walk to school in the gym! So ride, scoot, run or walk to school tomorrow and for the rest of the week! And remember to wear a helmet!
Then on Monday June 4th, the teachers will be organizing a bike rodeo/parade near the end of the day. So bring your bike or scooter if you can!
Let’s celebrate sustainable transportation at Frankland!
Reminder : Staff Appreciation Lunch is this Tuesday. Say thanks to the amazing staff at Frankland by bringing in some food for their lunch.
Hello Frankland Parents!
Every year we say “thank you” to all the staff at Frankland by putting together a Staff Appreciation Lunch! This year we have selected Tuesday, May 29th. We are looking for food donations and volunteers. Here are the details:
Tuesday, May 29th
We are requesting Salads, Main Dishes, and Desserts.
Food needs to be dropped off upstairs in the Staff Room by 10am. Please label your containers and provide us with any heating/serving instructions.
Containers will be washed and ready for pickup at the end of the day.
Volunteers are needed to help set up the lunch, and clean up after lunch.
Please email Jen Volk firstname.lastname@example.org if you can donate food and/ or your time.
Family Movie Night – SING – 6:30pm – Friday May 11th
We need everyone’s help to make the Fun Fair a success! Our activities are paid for but cannot run without our amazing volunteers so please take a moment to share your time for a portion of the fair. Some shifts are as short as 30 minutes! Sign up online here.
Mark your calendars, our Silent Auction is coming – Friday, April 13th from 7pm-9:30pm. We need your support to make this event a success. Here are a few ways you can help out:
1. Donations – who do you know who might like to give us some great items to bid on? Any donations, big or small (of all price points!) are welcome! We’re looking for things like gift certificates, sports/events/concert/tickets, air miles, vacation properties to hand-made toques, toys, jewellery and artwork. If you have items to donate, please contact Nicole Hynes at email@example.com
2. Class Themed Gift Baskets –the themed baskets are back again this year! Classes have chosen their themes and parents are asked to bring in an item to contribute to the basket if they would like. Look for communication from your class rep about the baskets but in the meantime, Shelley Adam has given us a glimpse of the themes chosen by the teachers:
- Room 101 — Family Fun Night
- Room 102 — Yoga & Mindfulness
- Room 103 — Family Cooking & Baking
- Room 104 — Toronto Sport Teams
- Room 105 — Reading Basket
- Room 106 — Snack Basket
- Room 108 — Coffee & Tea
- Room 109 — Arts & Crafts
- Room 201 — Kitchen/Culinary
- Room 202 — A “Hygge” Home
- Room 203 — Dinner & Movies
- Room 204 — Gourmet Food
- Room 205 — Gardening
- Room 206 — Board & Card Games
- Room 207 — Canadian Outdoors
3. Volunteers– we are looking for volunteers for the night of the event. If you would like to lend a hand and do a shift, please sign up here. If you have any questions about volunteering, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Food Donations – we are looking for finger foods both sweet and savory to serve on the night of the auction. Homemade, store bought, whatever is easiest for you. If you can bring something in, please contact Natasha (mom of Anya in Gr 5 and Zoe in Gr 3) and let her know email@example.com
4. Follow Us – on Facebook, on the Frankland Parent Blog and on Instagram. Get get daily updates on the items available for auction! Like and share and RSVP to help us spread the word!
2018 Silent Auction Committee