With the holiday season approaching, consumerism can cause unnecessary stress. It can be helpful to take a step back and think about what pushes us to spend money on things we don’t truly need. Buy Nothing Day, which takes place on the last Friday of November is a good time to reflect on alternatives to our consumer culture and an opportunity to get creative.
Friday, November 23rd, is Buy Nothing Day. Our school is participating in a textile waste reduction challenge this year called Fashion Impacts Challenge. We have chosen this day to ‘kick start’ our campaign.
The challenge today is to:
- Leave your money at home
- Use what you already have
- Avoid making small purchases – they add up quick!
- Abstain from making any purchases this day. Avoid going to stores (brick & mortar or online)
- Exchange unused stuff (find a clothing swap near you)
- Reduce waste and make a positive environmental impact
Talk to your family about Buy Nothing Day and how we can extend the practice to our everyday lives by consuming less and producing less waste with our shopping habits.